Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Decision

No, this isn't a post about a much maligned basketball player, or the announcement that started the hate. Actually, it's about the decision to do a triathlon.
Some of us wake up one morning and realize we need a new challenge in our lives, while others need to make radical changes, and convince themselves that Tris are a step in the right direction. And there are others who get convinced, roped, or bamboozled into a triathlon by well meaning friends, family, and race whisperers:D.
While I've been looking back and rediscovering my original motivations to get into multi-sport and competition, I'm reminded of what I learned was the most important detail.
For new triathletes, you may find, as I did, that as you tell people about your new undertaking they'll be three categories of responses.
1. There are the doubters- you know, the people who tell you that you are crazy for signing up for a triathlon when you can't swim. Or the folks who look at you and your 200+ lb frame, with obvious disbelief on their face and say, "Good luck", sarcastically. Ignore these people. It's possible to use them for motivation, but you will find inspiration and camaraderie along your path and this will strengthen you much more than naysayers!
2. Then there are the supporters- Mentors, friends, family, training partners, you know, the people who are genuinely excited for you and who are with you every step of your journey. In these people you will find kindred spirits and at times true inspiration.
3. And finally there are the uninitiated- These are the people who have been on my mind the most lately. They mean no ill will; they just don't understand. The uninitiated are the people who are the first to say, "I could never do that." They are neither doubters, nor supporters. They just can't fathom what would make someone want to take on a triathlon, and can't see themselves doing it; mostly because when they hear triathlon, they are thinking of full or half ironman. Their heads are full of visions of Sian Welch and Wendy Ingraham or Julie Moss.
I met a lot of the uninitiated in 2009 when I first started talking and writing about doing a triathlon. (Truthfully, I continue to encounter them). I am proud to say many of the original UI's are now triathletes themselves.
the simple fact is, I don't know anyone who couldn't finish a triathlon. Let me say that again for some of you (you know who you are!) I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO CAN'T FINISH A TRIATHLON.
I've watched heart patients, and smoker's train and finish. People who were afraid of the water and believed they could never learn how to swim. Cancer survivors and HIV fighters (see Endurance Magazine Jan 2011). Women who were pregnant on race day. Women who had given up on life itself, and family who fought through pain and debilitating fear to cross the finish line. There are so many ways to tell yourself you can't do something. And just as many ways to prove yourself right. The only difference between the uninitiated and all of the people who overcame everything to hear the words, "You are a triathlete" at the finish, is the decision.
Making the decision is the most important detail. It seems like an obvious and easy first step, but it is the key to everything that follows.
I started with a sprint distance, women's only pool race. The course consisted of a 250yard swim, 9 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run. (I started with the Ramblin Rose series of events from Endurance Magazine) The following weekend I did a co-ed pool race, with a much more challenging bike course and a 5k run to finish. (The Take Flight Tri in Huntersville). I trained for more than 12 weeks. I set goals. I made myself accountable by telling anyone who would read about it or listen to me. But mostly, I set in my mind that this was something I wanted to do.
The uninitiated just haven't come to the decision that they want to, and that's okay. But until they do, they won't completely understand. And so once again, I'm on a mission to show and share with anyone who will read my blog, or listen to me in person that if I could do it, (Sprint and International distance alike) they can too. Anyone who has ever finished a tri will tell you it's worth it. The decision to find out for yourself, or as Black Sheep would say, "The Choice," is yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment