Sunday, January 1, 2012

My 35 Things!

I woke up this morning with the lyrics from Patti Labelle's New Attitude running through my mind!
"I'm feeling good from my head to my shoes
Know where I'm going and I know what to do
I've tidied up my point of view, I've got a new attitude."

This isn't really a triathlon related entry and yet it is. Last year was not a great year for me; I only completed one race, the Cooper River Bridge Run, and everything else I either did as a relay, or was unable to compete in at all. There were various reasons for what I feel were my "fitness failures," but those are a part of last year, and I will not drag them around with me for even another day. Today is the first day of the beginning of my 35th year. It's not a real capstone birthday, but I am very excited about the year ahead. I have to believe it will be better than 2011.
Since July, I've been working on a list of 35 things I want to accomplish this year. In the spirit of this blog, I have triathlons and things I believe are "worth a try," all included in the listing. A bucket list is one thing, but these are a compilation of attainable activities or events for the here and now. The activities may not be so big that I feel I have to do them before I die, but each entry is something I find intriguing, worthwhile, and in most cases, inexpensive. I completed my list in November, and today, with my new attitude I'm jump starting my year. I won't bore you with the whole list, but I will share some highlights:
35 things I want to do when (while) I'm 35-

34. Take a Lovin Lindy swing dance class (www.lovinlindy.com/dances.html)
33. Finish a Half-marathon (Myrtle Beach Dasani Half)
32. Have a professional photo shoot- Pin Up Girl Photos
31. Complete an Olympic Distance Tri (repeat White Lake International in under 4 hours)
28. Take a photo a day- post to a blog
25. Take at least one belly dancing class!
20. Find/ join a Spanish conversation group
19. See one movie a month on the Oscar List from 1977 never seen before
11. Write one letter thanking someone whose words/ actions made a difference for me (35 people)
10. Treat yo self 2012- Buy myself one special item I wouldn't usually treat myself to!
9. Attend one cultural event I've never been to before (Bat Mitzvah, Quincenera, etc)
8. Go whitewater rafting at whitewater center
5. Learn How to shag
1. Try out for roller derby team

For number 31, I've actually completed the White Lake International Triathlon, but more than just crossing the finish line, this time around I'd like to conclude in under 4 hours. I've already uploaded my first photo to 365project.org (Thanks Mica!), and you can follow my daily photos at http://365project.org/queencitye/365. I'm proud to say a number of my friends made lists as well, to go along with what age they turn this year.

I'll also be participating in a 12-week challenge with some of my fellow Northside athletes/ triathletes. We'll be posting our daily meals on myfitnesspal.com, and weighing in, and tracking our measurements. Though there is a cash prize at the end for one person, I'm in it just to look better for my upcoming photo shoot! (I love pin up girl clothing, so I can not wait!)

I'll share my progress, and my struggles on this blog, because as it was with my initial triathlon journey, (which I shared through a newspaper column) I find strength in accountability. I know this won't be easy or simple; I've seriously let myself go. However, this new attitude has me happy just to be alive and to have a challenge to look forward to.

So, welcome to a new year to each of you, and I hope you find things that you want to do this year, whether your list has 35 things, or just five.
Jonathan Swift said it simply, "May you live all the days of your life." So, come on, new attitude or not, let's go live!

No comments:

Post a Comment